My favorite memories of Papa were as a young child when I would sleep over, he would show me shadow animals on the wall before we went to bed.
Riding in the old red truck and he would take me to the barber shop for a haircut.
When I would come cut the grass he would sit and watch on the swing.
When he got his new truck, he had to drive over to get me to set the clock.
How he made me run cable under his house so that he could watch TV in his "office".
How Nanny said he danced a jig when he got my science project "The Electric Motor" to work.
How he would make stuff for me in the wood shop.
One day he showed me a magnifying glass he had and I really wanted one too. He gave me his but I felt bad because I wanted him to have one too.
The "trick" about putting a match in oil to tell when its hot enough.
The rule about never handing someone a tool on a ladder when they are working "electric".
That even in his 70's he was trying to learn spanish, granted it was only to talk to his girlfriend at the bank.
That last Christmas he told me he wasn't going to make it another year.
That when I looked over his medical chart, I saw that he answered the question, "Whats your favorite season?" with "Springtime, because everythings in bloom". I guess I didnt think to realize he took pleasure in that.
He also said what makes him happy was "His wife, and smoking cigars".
That when he was sick in the nursing home, he still remembered who I was. I don't think I would have done as well if he didn't.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment