Well its a scorcher here today, in the high 80's. I went to throw out some garbage and I discovered two raccoons in the trash bin. At first I thought they were scrounging for food but I soon realized that they were trapped in the recently emptied garbage can. One of them was actually stretched out in the sun which to me was a sign that he was exhausted and dying. They sprang to life when I peered over the edge with the camera.
Here are the two racoons in the garbage. They were panting heavily in the heat. The one in the sun was a larger fellow, prob 20-30 pounds. The smaller one in the shade was prob 15 pounds or so.
The larger one tried to climb out a couple of times. The temperature in garbage can was very high and it stung just touching the sides.
This one was able to reach, but kept sliding back down.
I ran upstairs and put a sack of garbage close to the front edge. With that extra reach this raccoon was able to get out.
For some reason the other raccoon wasn't even trying, even with the garbage I put in there. I went upstairs and found a piece of scrap wood and placed it in the trash can. He wasted no time and was on the stick before I even let it go. I thought he would launch himself onto my face so I had to just leave it where it fell. Unfortunately, it rolled when the raccoon climbed near the top and he fell off. You can see the wood rolling to the left in this picture.





