Well, its been a rough couple of days but we have finally moved in. It all started early in the morning on the 21st there was a mad dash to get the moving truck down south to Arnold with the hopes it wouldn't overheat (it had leaked antifreeze all night onto the parking lot) and was jammed full of our stuff.
We parked the truck and went through the house before the pre-close inspection. We found mostly dings and scratches and places where paint was splashed or caulk was missing...but nothing "major". A couple of things were still left to be done on the house like painting the front door and soffit which had not yet been done because of the cold weather.
Closing was hassle free except for the mad dash to get a cashier's check because we didn't know the total until 5 min before closing time. Took Angie and I 20 minutes to sign off on all the paperwork, guess being a doctor comes in handy for things like that. We had to hurry because the washer/dryer/fridge was set to arrive at 1PM.
After closing we pulled the U-Haul up and started unloading. Judy and I made a good team and loaded/offloaded 3 rounds of the U-Haul into the garage in about an hour so that I could return the U-Haul with 280k miles on it and a leaky radiator to the place I got it from.
By the first night, we had a fridge, washer & dryer (a couple of scratches on the walls) and most of our stuff in the new house. Angie and I slept on the air mattress, Hudson slept in his car seat.
Day Two
------------
Crazy again. Angie and I woke up at 5:30 to get me back to Chesterfield so that I could meet with the guys who were going to move our bed and couch. We gathered everything we had (including Molly) and made another trip down south. This was also a busy day...the gas man, painters, plumber, cable and phone guy were all set to arrive today too. Seems like they all came at once. Everything checked out and hooked up no problem so that part was easy enough. The funniest part was that after painting the door, the movers had to take it off its hinges to get the hide-a-bed inside.
We were fortunate that at the end of the day Richard, Brian and Rhonda came up and brought our wedding stuff and baby supplies up to fill up our new space. They also helped move all the stuff in the garage to the basement so that it appeared at least to be more put away. I had to go back to work though which was tough considering how tired I was.
Day Three
---------------
Angie wanted the garage door opener put in pretty bad. I went to Lowe's and picked one up (and a new ladder) and began working on that. I didn't get too far because of some issues with mounting to the garage where there were no studs but eventually I was able to get it installed...it works great BTW. Now I get to help Mark put his up now that I know what not to do. Turns out the hardest part is alignment and building the support braces to look like you know what you are doing.
All said, we are glad to be in the new house. Found more things we missed on the inspection (two of the tubs are cracked, no hardware in one bathroom, shower door was installed backwards, only 1/2 the lights in the chandalier work, etc.) We are keeping a list, evidently there is a 2 month then 11 month inspection when you can bring this stuff up.
I will post photos soon. Been too tired, camera has been packed up and computer was in a box for a couple of days. More to come soon....
2 comments:
GM Judy says Merry Christmas to Hudson and both of you for getting to celebrate Christmas in your new house...after all !!!
We're excited for yall. Let me know when you're ready for us to come visit. Or if you need a personal shopper to help you buy some furniture to fill up that house.....I'm available...
Lorrie
Post a Comment